Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Great Pumpkins




I've never really been into comics, or even cartoons, but there is one that I've been thiking about a lot lately. It's Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin. I don't even remember the story line, but I do remember the Great Pumpkin. I think the pumpkins in our garden are even bigger than the Great Pumpkin.

I'm not a gardener, but the boys insisted on planting pumpkins this year. We actually have a garden spot, courtesy of the people who lived in our house before us. So, Brad tilled it up, threw a few pumpkin seeds in the ground, and we all forgot about our "garden". There's a sprinkler head in the garden, so every morning over the summer, when the automatic sprinklers came on to water the grass, the pumpkins got a drink too. They apparently got just the right amount of water, sunshine and dare I say, TLC? Our pumpkins are out of control! The vines were growing everywhere, up the slide, over the neighbor's fence, and into the other neighbor's yard! Our pumpkins were the joke of the neighborhood for much of the summer. No one is laughing now. Now, they're all being nice to us, hoping we'll share the fruits of our labor.

I've never seen such big pumpkins, and so many pumpkins! They are huge.. I don't think these pictures do them justice. Someone suggested hollowing one out and putting Lizzy inside it, just to show how big it is. I think I'll do that... but not yet. I don't want to harvest the pumpkins yet. I want them to grow for just a few more weeks. We are after the greatest pumpkin of all time! But first, I need to google Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin, so I can tell the kids the story!

No comments: