Saturday, September 13, 2008

Learning the Game

Lexi had her first basketball game today. She's number one on the gray team. I think I was more excited than she was! They've only had two practices, and there are only seven girls on the team: five from her school and two from another. Lexi is by far the tallest, followed closely by her best friend Tess. The twin towers literally towered over the other team and Lexi told me later no one from the pink team wanted to guard her! I don't blame them..she blocked two or three shots during today's game!

I'd forgotten how much nine year olds don't know about the game of basketball! I love the way the refs and the coaches make sure each girl knows who she's guarding by lining them up at half court at the beginning of each quarter. I love the way they sometimes forget to dribble, and just run with the ball. And I love they're excitement over every basket they score.

Lexi's team, the gray team (they call themselves the "M&M's") won easily today. Still, the coolest part about fourth grade basketball isn't winning. It is that for the last quarter of the game, they zero the scoreboard and don't keep score. That way everyone ends the game feeling good about themselves. What a great idea!

I'm looking forward to many more Saturday mornings in the bleachers, watching Lexi and her friends learn the game that I love so much. Hopefully, I'll be able to watch these girls play ball together all through elementary school, middle school and even high school. Imagine how much they'll learn about the game by the time they're in high school! But there are more imporant things they will learn on the court. Things like teamwork, hard work, and getting along with others. I've always thought sports teach important lessons and I am convinced my years of basketball prepared me to be a successful adult.

Yes, I would love it if my daughter became a basketball star. But, even more, I hope basketball teaches her lessons that will help her off the court.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: