Monday, December 6, 2010

Life Goes On

I guess the world doesn't stop when I stop.

I spent much of last week in bed and on the couch. I caught a nasty bug… fever, headache, cough. Made for one miserable mama.

What's amazing though, is that life went on, all around me. Without me even noticing.

My kids still had to get to school and basketball practice. I drove them there. I even took the two little girls to doctor's appointments that had been scheduled months ago. I'm not really sure how I did it, but I did it. It's just what moms do. My husband was out of town, so it was up to me. It's amazing how moms always seem to find the strength to take care of others (but not so much ourselves).

I did manage to write my family's Christmas letter, and a friend's Christmas letter too. Then my wireless router died.

And that ended that. No way was I getting out of bed to sit at the computer just to check facebook and email.

We got a new router, and I have spent hours catching up on facebook.. it's amazing how quickly one can fall behind on everyone's status updates. And believe me I will sleep better tonight knowing that a friend from college got a great deal on a pair of shoes.

While I wasn't in any frame of mind to be on the computer while I was sick it would have been a nice distraction. Daytime tv is not my favorite. I tried reading, but the cold medication seemed to interfere with my comprehension. And there are only so many six hour naps a girl can take.

Now I'm back at work, trying to catch up on the news I missed last week. Again, the world went on without me.

There were fires at two Dickinson churches, a man pleaded guilty to killing a Wishek man, a murder for hire trial started in Fargo, a controversial new housing complex opened in downtown Bismarck.

And then there's the good news, people in our community doing good things.... like the MedCenter One doctors who are donating to Carrie's Kids, and the Burleigh County Sheriff's deputies who shaved their heads for charity.

Again, the world went on without me.

But now I'm back, and don't plan on missing any of this week's news.

Yesterday, I sat through six basketball games (my oldest two kids each played three games in a tourney... my daughter's team even won!) It was so good to be out of the house! That was my test.. I figured if I could survive six games, I could survive just about anything.

So I'm back to work, and back to being a mom. All that's missing... is my voice!

No comments: