Saturday, December 18, 2010

I'm a "cool" mom!

It's almost 10:00 on a Saturday night, and I just finished scrubbing my kitchen floor. Why would I spend a Saturday night doing housework? Let me explain...

Lexi and her friends Tess and Taylor spent the day baking cookies. It was my idea and I knew they would make a mess, but I had no idea just how big of a disaster my kitchen would become. They were doing good at cleaning as they went.. until it was time to roll the sugar cookies. When I turned my back, one girl threw a little flour at another, then the third joined in. Before I knew it, it was a full fledged flour fight. Here's a short glimpse:
When it was all over, the girls said they couldn't believe I let them do that. They even told me I was "cool" and "the best mom". And they couldn't believe that instead of yelling at them, I grabbed the camera. I explained that the kitchen was already a mess, they were having fun, and it was just flour. You have to let loose every once in awhile.

They've been talking about that flour fight for hours. I'm sure they'll talk about it for days, maybe even years. It may even make it into a wedding toast. I am happy that something so simple can make my daughter and her friends so happy. I don't have a lot of money to take them shopping and to movies, but now I realize that just hanging out and being goofy is probably more memorable than any of those other things.

And, the best part.... my Christmas baking is done! But it will probably take a few more scrubbings before my kitchen floor is back to normal!

No comments: