Monday, April 5, 2010

A Good Decision

Nearly a year ago, I made the difficult decision to cut back to part time at work. It probably wasn't the smartest decision I've ever made professionally or financially, but personally, it's the best decision I've ever made. I was reminded of that today.

It finally feels like spring weatherwise, and that means the kids want to be outside. There was no school today, so I got to spend the afternoon with the little girls and Lexi (Jake was playing at a friend's house). We decided to walk to the park. Lizzy rode her bike, I pushed Morgan in the stroller, and Lexi helped Lizzy. We were only at the park for about an hour, but it was the best hour of my day. Lexi sat on the bench with me while I fed Morgan. We watched Lizzy run from the slides, to the swings, to the giant sandbox. She was having a blast. And I had a blast bonding with my oldest. When Lizzy needed help, Lexi and I took turns helping her and holding Morgan.

That hour at the park gave me a glimpse into what lies ahead this summer. I can't wait to spend every afternoon with my kids. Forget the laundry and the housework...we will spend our afternoons at the park, the pool, the river, the zoo....the sky is the limit! Jake has been working on his summer "to do" list for a few weeks now. The other day he asked me how much money I make. I explained that I don't make that much now that I work just 20 hours a week. He was a little sad about that, so I told him I could go back to working full time if he wanted. He immediately responded "no...I like having you around more Mom".

So while our checkbook balance is a little smaller than we'd like, the kids and I agree.... these afternoons we get to spend together are better than anything money can buy.

No comments: