Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I don't like new year's resolutions. I can never keep them. Yet every year, I make them. There are the standard ones... lose weight, drink more water, be more patient, spend more time with my kids, etc. While I'd like to accomplish all those things in 2011, there is something else I'd like to do too. Something that, I hope, is a little more attainable.

My new year's resolution this year is to get the little girls to bed earlier. I know. It sounds silly. But it's important to me. My kids, aside from Morgan, have never been good about going to bed (I should add, that is until they start kindergarten. Amazingly, both Lexi and Jake started sleeping all night, in their own beds, the day they started school). That's probably my fault. Life is busy, and often I get busy, lose track of time, and the next thing I know, it's 10:00 and Lizzy is still awake.

Three nights into the new year, I'm happy to tell you, that not counting Saturday night, my resolution is going great.  Lizzy is not only going to bed by 8:00, she's even spending most of the night in her own bed. I gave her new sheets and a new blanket to help. Okay, it was a bribe. I'm not above bribery when it comes to bedtime.

This morning, Morgan woke up at 5:00. She has a stuffy nose which makes it difficult to breathe when you have to have a pacifier in your mouth (maybe my second resolution should be to get rid of her pacifer). When I got her out of her crib, Lizzy woke up. She followed me to my bedroom and sweetly said "My don't want to get in bed with you. My just want to give you and Morgan both a little hug and a little kiss." She gave us both "little" hugs and kisses, then went back to bed.

Success.

Of course, both little girls have been awake since 5:00. That means, they'll both need naps this afternoon. And that means, Lizzy will be ready to stay up a little later. And since we have a busy evening of running around with the big kids, our routine will once again be disrupted.

But I'm not giving up just yet.

I like to get at least a full week into the new year before abandoning my resolutions.

No comments: