Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"I really don't hate winter"

We watch a lot of "Phineas and Ferb" in our house. It's a great cartoon on Disney. I especially like the evil Dr. Doofenshrmirtz. The show has adult humor, hilarious songs, yet the kids still like it. Anyway, for the past few days I've had a song from the Christmas special in my head: "I really don't hate Christmas."

I've changed the words a little..... my version is "I really don't hate winter." Don't worry. I won't sing. But I will share a few of the reasons why "I really don't hate winter":
  1. There's no need to shave my legs everyday. No one ever sees my legs, and not having to shave everyday is a real time saver in the shower. Same goes for my toenails. I haven't painted my toenails since October.
  2. Layers hide fat. Really. Everyone is bundled up in sweaters and coats...can you really tell who is fat and who is just dressed for the weather?
  3. It's cold outside, so it's a great excuse to stay home and do nothing. I have very little guilt when we watch movies in the winter time, whereas in the summer time, I feel incredibily guilty for sitting around and watching tv...we should be outside, enjoying the warm weather.
  4. It gets dark early, which means the kids are willing to go to bed early. In the summer, it is impossible to get them to bed before 10:00 pm.
  5. I like soup, and soup tastes so much better when it's cold outside.
  6. I like coffee, and coffee tastes so much better when it's cold outside.
  7. Lizzy and Morgan are rockin' some really cute hats this winter.
  8. When we forget to bring the milk in from the milkbox, it's ok. Sometimes it's frozen by the time we remember, but I'd rather have frozen milk than rotten milk (yes, we've had that too..... why is it so hard to remember the milk in the milkbox twice a week??!?!)
  9. I don't have to remember to water the flowers.. it's too cold for anything to grow outdoors!
  10. I splurged on a really great pair of slippers this year. They are so warm and comfy, perfect for cold January days.
  11. Brad works just eight hour days, as opposed to 12-15 hour days in the summer. It's pretty cool to see my husband everyday, and to have help driving the kids around.
  12. It's basketball season! Need I say more? Love me some 4th grade and 6th grade basketball!
  13. Christmas. I love Christmas.
  14. The sippy cups full of milk that get left in the van don't smell when I finally find them.
There are more things I don't hate about winter. Everyday I remind myself of those reasons, and add to my list.

You see, it's all a matter of perspective. It's easy to complain about the weather. But it's completely out of our control, so what good does it really do? I say embrace the cold. Soon it will be 100-degrees and I'll share my list of reasons  "I really don't hate summer."

No comments: