Saturday, June 12, 2010

My Kind of Math

The kids and I made a quick trip to my parents' farm this weekend. Jake has been dying to visit Grandpa's farm, all by himself. He loves spending a week there every summer, sometimes more than once. I'm not sure if it's the attention he gets when he's the only child, or the freedom that comes with the farm that he likes the most. He's even missing two nights of basketball to spend time at the farm. He has plans to mow, build stuff, fix up his bike, and eat lots of junk food.

The girls and I took him to the farm yesterday afternoon and came home tonight. It's a pretty boring drive from Bison to Bismarck, so I had a little time to think on the way back (Lizzy was watching a movie, Morgan was napping and Lexi was texting... I was bored!). I'm not really a numbers person, but I got to thinking about this trip and the numbers involved. Here's what I came up with:
  • 373 miles + 29 hours + 4 hyper kids = 2 happy grandparents + 1 happy uncle = 1 annoyed dog
  • 2 awesome naps + 2 miles walked with my oldest. = 1 relaxed mom
  • 1 fast go cart + 3 big kids = 1 fun time + 3 arguements + 1 mud puddle + 1 garden hose = 2 wardrobe changes for the girls
  • 1 cup peanut butter + 1 cup sugar + 1 egg = 1 batch of peanut butter cookies for Grandpa = 1 project for Lizzy
  • 1 turtle in the window well + 1 boy to save him + 1 curious 3 year old = 5 minutes of entertainment
  • 1 excited boy who gets to spend the week at the farm + 1 big sister relieved that her brother is gone for a week = 1 week of peace for mom (yeah right!)
  • 37 text messages between Lexi and her BFF on my phone during the last hour of the drive home + 2 pit stops (1 for gas station pizza, 1 for Lizzy to pee in the grass) + 4 tired girls = 1 more pit stop (this time for a Diet Coke for the driver!)

Add all those together, and the grand total = 1 great, though quick, trip to the Shea farm.

Obviously math isn't my "thing", but this is one word problem I can handle!

No comments: