Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Least Favorite Time of Year

The forecast calls for snow tonight. Summer is over. Fall is over too, for that matter. Winter is upon us. That also means road construction season is over...and hunting season is here. This is my very least favorite time of the year.

I knew when I married Brad that he liked to hunt. But I had no idea how much he liked to hunt. He normally only hunts pheasants and deer, but manages to spend much of October, November and December hunting those animals. This year, he expanded his horizons...and is on a ten day elk hunt in Colorado with a brother and two college buddies. He also has a bear tag, just in case.

Now, I'm all about hobbies, spending time with friends, and doing what you love. But I'd be lying if I said I was totally happy about this hunting trip. Yes, it's been a dream of his for a very long time. Yes, it was planned before we knew we baby number four was on the way. Yes, he deserves it..he works hard all summer and should definitely be rewarded for that.

Still, I'm bitter. I'm home with three kids, one of which is fighting a double ear infection and having a terrible reaction to her antibiotic. I am seven and a half months pregnant, which makes everything a little more difficult...my patience is worn thin, my back hurts, and I'm tired. But, such is life. We will get through this and look forward to hearing Brad's hunting stories and seeing the pictures he will hopefully remember to take. And, while he's gone...the kids and I are determined to have fun. Today, I had a pedicure. Tonight, I found an Applebees gift card (of Brad's) and we went out for supper. I have more on my "revenge list".... including a day of scrapping, and eventually, a trip somewhere warm...for ten days, with no kids, no husbands... just me and my fellow hunting widows!

No comments: