Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Vacation Hangover

"No man needs a vacation so much as the person who just had one."
~ Elbert Hubbard

Truer words have never been spoken.

I've never really had a vacation hangover before. Maybe because I've never really had a real vacation before.

Don't get me wrong. I've had vacations --- the family trips to the Mall of America, camping with the kids in the Black Hills, the Medora Musical. But those don't really count. I'm talking about a real vacation. A vacation without kids.

Brad and I finally had one of those, real vacations.
 
We spend ten days in Hawaii. It was awesome. Sun, relaxation, history, culture, good food. We even rented a Harley to explore the island of Maui. It was everything a vacation should be.

But ten days was a little too long.

I missed my kids like crazy.

Then there was the tsunami. I seriously hope I never experience another tsunami.

Now, it's back to reality.

As happy as I was to see the kids, I secretly kind of wished I'd have a day to catch up on sleep and unwind before diving back into motherhood.

That didn't happen.

I immediately jumped back into the "mom" duties of cooking, washing dishes, doing laundry, giving baths and getting the kids to bed.

I did all this on about three hours of sleep (the time I slept on the airplane doesn't count... that was too uncomfortable to be considered real sleep).

It's good to be home. Vacation was great, a once-in-a-lifetime experience. But home is even better. I love the routine, the normalcy, and the hugs from my four favorite kiddos.

Still, I can't help wishing I could take a vacation to recover from my vacation...and to ease back into the routine that is my life....


No comments: