Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Perspective

This flood sucks.

It has affected each one of us in some way or another.

Some have left their homes. Many will never get to go home again.

Some have moved their belongings to higher ground, just in case.

Some haven't slept in weeks, because it's their job to figure out how to save our city.


All of us are praying. And hoping. And watching the radar as if we are meteorologists. We all now know "cfs" is short for "cubic feet per second", and it's directly related to how much water could flood our city.

If you think about it too much, it will bring you to tears. It's all so overwhelming. Who would have ever guessed we would live to see the 500 year flood?

Yet, I can't help but think it's all about perspective. And that is what keeps me from complaining.

Yes, it sucks havng the entire contents of my basement squeezed into the main floor of my house. I'm not too keen on the volleyball that has found a new home on my living room shelf either, or the fact that my oldest child's bed has been crammed into my bedroom. 

But just when I want to complain, I read something, or see pictures, or talk to someone else who has it so much worse.

My inconveniences are just that: inconveniences.

In reality, my south Bismarck home should be just fine. There are no sandbags surrounding our house -  the dikes are supposed to protect us. We've moved things out of the basement, because there is a chance we may have some groundwater (although so far, so good). At any rate, that's minor. I can deal with that.

What I'm not sure I can deal with is the destruction this flood has already caused for so many, and the destruction that is still coming.

My heart breaks for those who have moved out of their homes, for those who have lost their homes.. in Bismarck and in Minot.

This flood just plain sucks.

But, remember, it's all about perspective.

As hard as it is to imagine, it could be worse. Right?

No comments: