Wednesday, February 2, 2011

24 Hours

There are only 24 hours in a day.

I need to sleep for at least six of those hours (Eight would be ideal, but let's get real.. I have four kids a husband, a dog and a job. Six is the most I ever get).

That leaves 18 hours to do other things.

I spend at least four of them at work.

I spend another one or two driving the kids around (school, practice, friends' houses)

It takes about an hour, sometimes more, to cook and eat supper and clean up the kitchen.

Then there are baths for the little girls... I'm so glad the big kids no longer need my help with that!
That list doesn't include the other things, like the time I spend cleaning up the house, getting myself ready for the day, and doing laundry. Not to mention the time I'd like to spend working out, scrapbooking or just relaxing.

Today I also spent an hour grocery shopping, an hour helping Lexi with homework, more than two hours rocking Morgan to sleep and more than six hours at work.

I totally forgot I had an appointment this afternoon.

I didn't make it to the bank to deposit the checks I've been carrying around for nearly a week.

And I didn't get the house picked up. (My solution was shutting the lights off. It looks much cleaner in the dark)

I am exhausted, overwhelmed, crabby and yet, I'm still grateful.

I am grateful that I have a house to clean, kids to drive around, money to buy groceries. I am thankful that I am able to work just part time. Days like today are a good reminder of why I cut back. And while I didn't get the things I feel are important done (laundry, cleaning, working out) I did get to spend more than two hours snuggling with my baby girl.

And when I look at it like that, this day doesn't seem so bad afterall.

No comments: