Sunday, January 24, 2010

What a week!

The past week has been filled with ups and downs.... highs and lows...good stuff and bad stuff. But that's life. If life was always good, we'd be bored, although more good than bad would be nice! Here's a list of all the "stuff" that happened in the past seven days:
  • Baby Morgan had her two month check up. She tipped the scales at 15 pounds, 2 ounces and measured 24 and a half inches, putting her in the 100th percentile for her weight and the 97th percentile for her height. Interestingsly, her head size is only in the 24th percentile. Morgan got a bunch of shots too, but she seemed to handle them just fine. Our family doctor confirmed what I already knew...Morgan is a happy, healthy, awesome baby girl.
  • Grandma Parker passed away. I blogged about this before, but it's still very much on my mind. The funeral was beautiful, a true celebration of her amazing life. I was a little worried the weather would keep us from getting to Gettysburg, but we made it (and made it home too, although the last hour was scary..the roads were super bad). I am sad for my grandpa...he is without the love of his life. They were married for 64 years. I cried the most not during the funeral, but rather when I talked to my grandpa. He read my blog about Grandma and said to me "Jody, I know why you write for a living". I teared up and couldn't talk. I am proud to have written something that my touched my grandpa. But I am even prouder to be Jeannette Parker's granddaughter. She taught me so much, and I am trying to be more like her. I've already remembered to send two birthday cards!
  • Speaking of birthdays, I celebrated my 35th this week. The day was uneventful, and that was actually fine with me. The kids baked me a cake the night before, but I had to make the frosting after they went to bed (we should really start projects like that a little earlier in the evening so they can do the entire project themselves!) Lexi woke everyone up at 6:30 (not the little girls...they wouldn't budge) for cake and presents. I got the best presents...Lexi and her friend Tess made me a scrapbook. It is super sweet...but I'm a little concerned that they think "listening to kids fight" is one of my hobbies! Jake gave me three pieces of candy left over from a buddy's recent birthday party and a dollar....wrapped up in three kleenexes. Unfortunatley, I left the candy within Lizzy's reach, and she ate it while Morgan and I took a birthday nap!
  • I got to go out for supper with some good friends last night. It was so fun having adult conversation...although much of the conversation revolved around our babies, who are three weeks apart!
  • We had our first basketball conflict on Saturday...both Lexi and Jake played at the same time, on opposite ends of town.  So we split up... Morgan and I went to Lexi's game, Lizzy and Brad went to Jake's game. I have a feeling this will happen more and more in the coming years. Why did they have to switch the high school girls' season to coincide with the boys'? Seems like a big headache for parents. At any rate, Jake's team won their game and Lexi played three games on Saturday...won two and lost one. She had to miss today's game because of her baby sister's baptism. Lexi was not happy.
  • Baby Morgan got baptized today. And of course, Lizzy stole her thunder...she started yelling "no" when Father Gene put Morgan in the water. Talk about an over-protective big sister! Cousin Jorja was also baptized today, and while Morgan cried a little, Jorja loved the water. Brad was honored to be Jorja's godfather and we were so happy to spend the day with family and friends. I really needed a "happy" occasion.
  • Jake learned what it's like to be a true Vikings fan. We let  him stay up to watch the whole game tonight...and he went to bed in tears. I feel so bad for him, but I'm afraid it's not the last time his Vikings will disappoint him. Brad explained this to him, and Jake is now thinking about finding a new team.
So there you go...the good and the bad, the sad and the funny. Life is good. I can't wait to see what this week brings!

No comments: