Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Blessed

As I looked through pictures from Lizzy's first grade program last night, these two stood out more than any other pictures.



These pictures are more proof of what I've slowly been realizing: we are blessed. 

How many six-year-olds are lucky enough to have both out-of-town grandpas and two great aunts (and two parents, a sister, and a brother) come to their 20-minute program in the school gym?

Not many.

I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks now. It started when I got a frantic phone call from Lexi's friend's mom. She and her fiancĂ© had to leave town unexpectedly for a funeral and she was in need of a place for her 14-year-old daughter to stay while they were gone. Of course I said yes, and of course she felt like she was totally imposing, and of course she wasn't. 

But it started me thinking about something that, in my nearly 15 years of motherhood, I'd never thought about before: what do people do if they don't have family around to help with their kids?

I'm spoiled.

Not only do we have awesome great aunts in town that would drop everything (and have dropped everything) to help with our kids, both sets of grandparents are only a few hours away. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've called an aunt or a grandparent in a total panic because I suddenly need a sitter overnight, or a kid needs a ride, or I need someone to stay with a puking kid while I attend a mandatory meeting. 

Seriously, how do people do it without family nearby? I am in awe of you all. And I am feeling extra blessed knowing that two grandpas drove to town specifically for Lizzy's program and two aunts gave up sleep and "me time" to watch Lizzy as Little Bo Peep. 

I can only hope that one day my children will be equally grateful.


No comments: