Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Star Gazing

I'm a little tired today, but it's a good tired. I'm tired because I sacrificed a couple of hours of sleep last night to stare at the sky with my son. Last night was the peak of the Perseid Meteor shower. Jake had heard all about the meteor shower, and had visions of hundreds of shooting stars falling through the sky. Someone told him the best time to see the meteors was between midnight and 1:00 a.m. So, when everyone went to bed, Jake stayed up...promising to wake Brad and I up at midnight to see the show. I wasn't sure he would stay awake, so I stayed awake too. We went outside at midnight, and I saw one shooting star right away. Jake was bummed that he didn't see any, so he went inside and woke up Brad. He joined us on the deck, but even with an extra set of eyes, Jake didn't see anything. He went to the front yard, laid on the driveway, didn't see anything, shot a couple of baskets...then returned to the backyard. He and Brad stayed up awhile longer, long enough for Jake to see two shooting stars. They were the first ones he'd ever seen. Unfortunately, he was too excited to make a wish, so his wishes will have to wait.

What doesn't have to wait, are the moments like those. Yes, we were all a little tired today. Yes, we were a little disappointed that we didn't see more meteors. And yes, our necks were a little stiff from looking up at the sky for so long. But it was all worth it. Seeing Jake's excitement and curiousity made all that worth it. So, while there won't be a meteor shower every night, there will be more nights of spending quality time with my son...which means, the wish I made on that shooting star will come true.

No comments: